RUN TO THE LIVING
- Key Verse
- [A]nd as the women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, the men said to them, "Why do you seek the living One among the dead? He is not here, but He has risen. . . ." (Luke 24:5-6)
- READ THE CHAPTER
Jesus Christ fulfilled the long awaited promise that God would send a Savior to take the sins of the world upon His shoulders. He was crucified and then rose again on the third day so that we could spend eternity with God in heaven.
ReflectionsWhere do I like to run first when things go poorly? When they don't go my way, or they hurt, or painful situations arise, where do I turn first? Sometimes that looks like me wrecking my body at the gym so that I don't feel it anymore, or scrubbing my house from top to bottom until I have cleaned the pain away. It could also look like avoidance or shopping, or drugs, or alcohol, or food addiction . . . anything for us to just forget about what is going on in our world so that we don't have to face it. But why do we "seek the living among the dead"?
I cannot imagine being the men in Luke 24:13-35 who encountered the resurrected Jesus -- to walk with Him, talk with Him, break bread with Him. Oh, what it must have been like! He had foretold the events that had just happened, but their minds had not been opened to them until that moment. He opened their eyes, just as He can do the same for us. "He Himself stood in their midst and said to them, 'Peace be to you'" (verse 36). He says the same to us 2,000 years later! When you want to run towards anything to numb the hurt, the pain, or the addiction, instead run towards the Living God. He was resurrected from death three days after being crucified on a cross so that you and I can also be made alive through the resurrection power of Jesus Christ.
Jesus is ALIVE! He is RISEN! Jesus fulfilled God's promise that He would send a Savior in order that we might have eternal life . . . a life full of the power of the resurrection. It's not just for when we get to heaven. It's for now as well. Just like resurrection was impossible for anyone but God, the power behind His resurrection has the ability to strengthen us in places we would never be strong on our own. It is time to change where we run to! Jesus is ALIVE! Let's live in Him.
Discussion Questions1. Where do you find yourself running first when things get too hard to handle?
2. Do you believe in the power of the resurrection? What does that mean to you?
3. What is an example of a time in your life when you sought something other than Jesus for healing or strength? How did it turn out?
4. What is an example of a time in your life when you sought Jesus first for healing or strength? How did it turn out differently?
WEEKLY FAMILY ACTIVITY
LUKE 22-JOHN 2 (APRIL 2-6)
This week, we will read through Luke 22-24. Break it up however you need to for your kids.
Each day ask:
• What happened to Jesus is today's Scripture?
• What was hard? What was sad?
• Did you learn anything new about Him?
On the last day also ask:
• Why did Jesus choose to go through all the really hard things that we read about this week?
• Why did He have to die on a cross?
• Have you accepted His sacrifice as the payment for your sins?